Sunday, November 7, 2010

Soup Sunday!

Lately, I have been making supper in the crock pot on Sunday nights.  I feel Sundays are perfect for me for having more time to get the ingredients put together and then letting it simmer all day.  Today I made  homemade Hamburger Barley Soup for Kevin and me.  Here's the recipe in case any of you would want a supper idea.  It was given to me by a parent at my school.

Hamburger Barley Soup

1 1/2 lbs ground beef or turkey
1 lrg can kidney beans
6 c water
3 beef bouillon cubes
2 c sliced carrots
1 1/2 c coarsely chopped onions
1 1/2 c coarsely chopped celery
1/2 c coarsely chopped green pepper
1/3 c barley
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 bay leaves
1/4 c ketchup
1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes, cut up
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce

Brown meat and drain.  In a 5-qt pot or crock pot add meat and stir in remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer one hour or until vegetables and barley are tender.  Remove bay leaves (I only added a little amount of bay leave flakes).  Makes 10 (1 1/2 cup) servings.  Freezes well.

When you make it in the crock pot it needs longer to sit and cook the vegetables.  I hope you enjoy!!  It's always a success for me when Kevin likes it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment